Shadow

A core part of my image is the monster shadow that is the largest element in my photo. This proved to be rather challenging and I had to look up tutorials, and ask advice on how to get this done.

I found a couple easy tutorials online and spoke to the teacher on how to make it look realistic. At first, the shadow was looking a bit weird but then through brightness/contrast and the use of masks the shadow looked better!

I also had to put a shadow behind Piper, and I used a slightly different effect for this!

Clone Stamp

We learnt about the clone stamp in class a couple of weeks ago, and I felt like I understood the basics of it. In saying that I didn’t think I would be using it in my own image.

It turns out that getting chains and fake blood on my dog was a harder task than I could have imagined. So when I couldn’t get the chains properly around Piper I realised I would need to use the clone stamp to create more wounds and more chains.

So, I clicked on the clone stamp icon on photoshop and realised I didn’t know how to use it properly! And that the wounds on Piper would look too repetitive if I just copied them. I went on the Internet and looked up some basic tutorials on the clone stamp. I managed to copy the chains around Pipers body and found out how to twist the chains and the wounds around to make it look less repetitive.

The Green Screen

I decided to green screen Piper, as I thought this would be the easiest way to bring her in to the photo. In the end, it turned out to be one of the most difficult parts of my photo. I took the photos, and did not realise that the green had gone on to Pipers fur.

When I brought it in to photoshop, I realised that her hair has been badly tinged by my DIY green screen. This meant that I had to mask her out, and then somehow get the green out of her fur.

I did some research, and decided to use one of the vector masks on her particular layer to bring the colour back to normal. I tried the brightness/contrast and a few others that we had learnt about in class but none of them seemed to work!

In the end, I found the colour correction vector and managed to bring Pipers fur colour back to normal by playing with the colour scales. After lots of playing, I managed to bring her fur colour back which meant that she blended in to the photo.

Masking

It is an important part of our assignment to mask our photos rather than destroy them and bring them in to the main background. We learnt about masking in class, and were told that it is an important technique as it allows one to change their minds during their project without having to redo their whole photo.

I also used vector masks in my assignment, which I could connect to specific layers. This allowed me to change the colours and contrast throughout my image and allowed me to use different effects.

I used masking for all the images in my photo, and this allowed me to blend the photos in to the background more than if I had deleted the backgrounds. I found several tutorials online that helped with masking during the holidays.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/layers/layer-masks/

Animal Cruelty Campaigns

In order to get a grasp on what type of image I wanted I looked at many different animal cruelty campaigns. One that was really helpful was an article on bored panda which showed several different campaigns to do with abuse. These were extremely helpful when coming up with my concepts.

These inspired me to do the shadow in my photo as it was something that was subtle but powerful which is very similar to the photos below. Each have a strong message, and convey them effectively without making the image complicated.

public-social-ads-animals-128public-interest-public-awareness-ads-50-2  

public-social-ads-animals-24 public-social-ads-animals-105